Top 3 Fat Loss Strategies
Summer is right around the corner and everyone is looking to get their beach body ready (including myself). One of the biggest and most overlooked aspects of losing fat is consistency over time. Without consistency, you’ll never have sustainable fat loss. With that being said, here are the top 3 fat loss strategies you can use to get leaner heading into the summer months.
- Prioritize Resistance Training
Resistance/strength training is the number one most important factor when it comes to losing body fat. Resistance training helps you to speed up your metabolism by building lean muscle. The more muscle your body has, the more calories you burn at rest. Resistance training also improves hormone function. This means you’ll sleep better, have more energy, have less mood swings, have better libido and have lower levels of stress. Resistance training is the best kind of training for optimal body composition. This means you will have lower levels of body fat and more muscle giving you that “toned” look that you’re looking for.
2. Nutrition HAS to be Something Sustainable
You’ve probably heard about the many fad diets that are popular in today’s society. Many of these nutritional protocols are not sustainable for mostpeople. The best thing you can do when you’re first entering into healthy nutrition is to build awareness. This means learning to tracking your calories and macronutrients. Following a templated meal plan, or cutting out entire food groups (proteins, carbs, fats) is not ideal when trying to lose body fat. Everyone has things that are non-negotiable in their nutrition. Jason Phillips talks about this a lot. This could be date night with your significant other weekly, or going out with friends for drinks on a Saturday night. Being able to live your life and stay emotionally healthy is just as important as being physically healthy (especially when trying to lose body fat). But it has to be calculated when you are trying to lose fat. What this means, is that if you are trying to stay in a calorie deficit week by week, you’ll have to make adjustments in your daily nutrition in order to make sure your non-negotiable’s fit. This doesn’t mean you have to be in a caloric deficit EVERY DAY, and that is actually something I advise against (this will destroy hormones over time). BUT at the end of the week, when you average your calories out for the week, you still want to be in a caloric deficit in order to lose body fat. Becoming aware and building your nutrition around whole, minimally processed foods 80% of the time is going to help you feel fuller, have more energy, sleep better and have better training sessions. This leaves 20% of your nutrition available to be more flexible to enjoy dining out and taking care of your emotional well-being. This is KEY for adherence during a fat loss phase. If you want 100% individualized nutrition coaching by me including calories, macronutrients, accountability and changes when needed, fill out this application.
3. Recover Properly
Recovery is the most important part of a fat loss protocol. There are some pretty simple (but not so easy for most) steps for ensuring your recovering properly. Getting 7–8 hours of QUALITY sleep each and every night is key. In an older blog I wrote, I interviewed Sal Di Stefano (host of MindPump podcast) and he talked to me about forming habits around bedtime to ensure quality sleep. You can read that here. The next thing when we’re talking about recovery is hydration. Drink. More. Water. Period. Have it on you at all times and drink water throughout the day. Hydrating properly is very important for bodily functions including gut health and how you digest food. Cut out the sugary and/or artificially flavored drinks. Nutrition is the next big rock. As you can see above, following the 80/20 rule is key. Vegetables and fruits should be in your diet DAILY. Shoot for around .7-.8 grams per pound of body weight in protein when trying to lose fat. This will ensure you’re getting the amino acids you need to recover from resistance training, as well as build lean muscle tissue. MANAGE STRESS. This is a big one. Get out and move. Go for walks, and spend time with people you care about. One important thing that has helped me with this has been creating time blocks. Create blocks for everything in your life. This way you don’t stress as much and you’re always being PRODUCTIVE and not just busy. You know exactly when it’s time to stop working, and start focusing on things like meditation, doing things with friends/family or just watching your favorite Netflix show.